Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Facing my fear of water

If you ask my husband, he will list atleast 50 things that I am scared of, at any instant. Certainly not something to be proud of!

I have always loved being in water, but the thought of suffocation has always prevented me from learning how to swim. Have avoided water sports and tried to stay away from vacation places where they were the highlight. The thought of the boat flipping and I being suffocated, have always overcome my urge for being in water. Every year, I would tell myself to register for a swim class, but never actually took the step.

One day I had a sudden realization that my fear of water might always be there, but am I going to let it come in the way of enjoying something that most of the world enjoys? Probably not. Once I had this realization that I am going to move ahead, in spite of my fear, it was then about taking that first step.

I registered for the class.

First day of class: I drove to the Bellevue Aquatic center, on a Sat, at 9am (half in sleep),  signed in,  changed and got into the pool. Instructor came, introductions happened and then, it was time!

I found telling myself  “its okay if I don’t learn much today, because I am scared and also because I am an adult. I would have picked it up if I had learnt it as a kid.”  Somewhere I knew that I was probably using that as a reason for not giving in my best.

Then I looked on the other side of the pool where kids class was going on. 2 to 4 yr old children were learning how to swim, enjoying themselves in water, diving without any fear, splashing water on each other, practicing hand strokes etc.. There was so much excitement around that part of the pool.

I thought “What must be on their minds right now? what are they thinking?” They probably have no idea about the dangers of drowning, no fear of water, or pre conceived notions about how it would feel when thrown in water. Their minds must be completely blank and empty. Simply observing, completely in the present, trying to have fun and learn everything taught to them without questioning it.

And that's it. I decided that that was going to be my attitude too. "Clear my mind, not focus on fear, remove all inhibitions, start from absolute zero and create a possibility of learning something I have never learnt before."

I successfully completed one hour of class. While walking towards my car, the feeling I got was unmatched. Free, confident and happy!

I am by no means an expert swimmer yet, but I am confident I will get there! :-)



Am a strong believer of “ Courage is not lack of fear, but rather it is taking action in the face of, and despite, fear - Feel the fear and do it anyway!”

3 comments: